Worlds Pantry Winter 2022 Join us on @thebbqmag
A traditional Cumbrian dessert our boozy & fruity ‘Rum Nicky’ tastes so rich and indulgent that a little goes a long way and it won’t break the bank.
250g Medjool dates, pitted and
200g dried apricots, coarsely chopped
50g stem ginger, finely chopped
50ml spiced rum
50g dark brown soft sugar
50g unsalted butter, diced
Sweet shortcrust pastry
400g plain flour
50g icing sugar
150g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp very cold water
1 egg, beaten, to glaze
1. For the filling, mix the dates, apricots, ginger, rum and sugar together in a bowl. Set aside to soak.
2. For the pastry, mix the flour and icing sugar together in a bowl. Add the diced butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix the egg with the lemon juice and water. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture.
3. Work the liquid into the flour to bring the pastry together. When the dough begins to stick, gently knead into a ball. If the dough appears too wet add a couple more spoonfuls of flour. Wrap the pastry in clingfilm and chill for at least 15 minutes.
4. Cut the dough into 2 pieces, roughly one third and two thirds. Roll out the largest piece on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a metal pie dish, leaving the excess hanging over the sides.
5. Spread the filling into the pastry case and dot with the butter.
6. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into 10 long strips about 1.5 cm wide. Use the pastry strips to create a lattice on top of the filling, with 5 strips going each way.
7. Press the ends of the lattice strips to the pastry rim to secure, then crimp the edges. Trim, then brush the lattice with the beaten egg.
8. Preheat your grill to 180°C and bake for about 40-45 mins until the pastry is golden.
10. Delicious served warm or cold with a big spoonful of rum cream.
We'd love to hear your feedback on this recipe! Why not be the first to review it?
note your review will not appear immediately upon submission
There are no videos linked to this story
There are no audio files linked to this story
There are no image galleries linked to this story
Join our mailing list to be kept up-to-date with everything that is going on at BBQ HQ.
Every now and again, we'll email you the latest BBQ news, new recipes to try, BBQ community news, and a preview of what is coming in our next edition.
Simply fill in the form opposite - we won't bombard you with click bait, and you can opt out at any time.