Sue Stoneman Winter 2022 Join us on @thebbqmag
#Apple #AppleCrumble #Dessert #Pudding #KamadoJoe #SueStoneman
My mum used to add dates into her apple crumble so I’ve added them to both the apple base and the nutty, oaty topping. They add extra sweetness and a lovely chewy texture. If you don’t have dates or nuts for the topping, then you can add two tablespoons of granola or muesli into the mixture instead. You can also use cranberries or other dried fruit in with the apples.
INGREDIENTS – APPLE BASE
6 apples, cored but not peeled
6 tbsp caster sugar
Pinch of cinnamon
Few drops of vanilla paste
75g dates, chopped
Zest & juice of 1 lemon
INGREDIENTS – TOPPING
100g plain flour
50g unsalted butter cut into cubes
2 tbsp demerera sugar
Pinch of cinnamon
2 tbsp oats
30g chopped hazelnuts
25g dates, chopped
1. I cooked this on my Kamado Joe Classic set up for half direct cooking and half indirect.
2. First make the topping. Tip the flour and butter into a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add in the demerera sugar, cinnamon, oats, nuts and chopped dates. Stir and set aside.
3. Grate three of the apples, including the skins, into a bowl.
4. Chop the remaining three apples and put into a separate bowl.
5. Place your skillet pan on to the grill above the direct heat and warm up. Add the caster sugar evenly on the base and slowly let it caramelise. Resist the temptation to stir it, just gently swirl the caramel around the pan to help the sugar dissolve.
6. Add in the grated apple along with the lemon juice and zest, cinnamon, vanilla paste and stir. Then tip in the chopped apples and mix together. Cook for 5 minutes. This will give you a lovely caramel-style sauce for your apples.
7. Sprinkle the oaty mixture on top of the apples and cook over the indirect side of the BBQ for 30 minutes until it has taken on a bit of colour, turning throughout the cook. Serve warm with custard, cream, ice cream – or all three.
We'd love to hear your feedback on this recipe! Why not be the first to review it?
note your review will not appear immediately upon submission
There are no videos linked to this story
There are no audio files linked to this story
There are no image galleries linked to this story
Join our mailing list to be kept up-to-date with everything that is going on at BBQ HQ.
Every now and again, we'll email you the latest BBQ news, new recipes to try, BBQ community news, and a preview of what is coming in our next edition.
Simply fill in the form opposite - we won't bombard you with click bait, and you can opt out at any time.