A thrifty way to make the most of your Christmas budget is to familiarise yourself with Christmas leftover recipes.
‘TwixTmas Pie’ (T for turkey & T for tarragon!) is the ultimate in comfort food, uses up all the roast dinner leftovers and will feed a hungry family.
(don’t worry too much about exact amounts, just use what you have)
Leftover mashed potato
Cooked turkey or chicken
Cooked carrots and peas (or any leftover veg)
Grated cheddar cheese
1. Scatter meat and veg together in the bottom of a baking dish.
2. Mix a tbsp of cornflour with a splash of water. Use this to thicken your gravy over a low heat before stirring through a few spoonfuls of double cream (or more if you enjoy a creamy sauce) and a handful of chopped tarragon. The result should be a very thick sauce.
3. Pour this sauce over the meat and veg before topping with the mash. Spoon the potato into peaks then sprinkle over generous handfuls of cheese. These peaks will turn into gorgeous crunchy bits as the pie cooks.
4. Preheat the grill to 190ºC and cook until the top is browned and the sauce starts to bubble up beautifully from the sides of the pie. This should take about 40-45 mins.
5. Delicious served with buttered savoy cabbage.
We'd love to hear your feedback on this recipe! Why not be the first to review it?
note your review will not appear immediately upon submission
There are no videos linked to this story
There are no audio files linked to this story
There are no image galleries linked to this story
Join our mailing list to be kept up-to-date with everything that is going on at BBQ HQ.
Every now and again, we'll email you the latest BBQ news, new recipes to try, BBQ community news, and a preview of what is coming in our next edition.
Simply fill in the form opposite - we won't bombard you with click bait, and you can opt out at any time.
Copyright ©2023 The BBQ Magazine. All rights reserved. The BBQ Magazine is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 13094123.