Delicious Chicken Skewers marninated overnight with homemade flatbreads.
4 diced chicken breasts
2 red onions
3 tri-coloured peppers
Punnet of button mushrooms
FOR THE DRY RUB
Finely chopped garlic
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground chilli
Finely grated orange rind
Finely chopped rosemary
1 tsp salt
2 tsp soft brown sugar
400g strong white flour
Pinch of sea salt
Finely chopped Rosemary
1 sachet dried yeast or 18g fresh yeast
Approx. 220ml water
40ml olive oil
1. Mix the dry rub spices together.
2. Dice the chicken breast, drizzle with olive oil then coat in the spice mix and allow to marinade overnight in the refrigerator.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, yeast rosemary then add the liquids
4. Bring together with your hand to make a shaggy dough consistency.
5. Knead for 2 minutes then place in a lightly oiled container overnight in refrigerator.
1. Remove the chicken and flatbread dough from the fridge.
2. Soak the wooden skewers in water for half an hour before assembling.
3. Chop all of the veg into equal sized pieces so the skewers cook evenly; leave the button mushroom whole.
4. Layer up the skewers in whatever order you like – I started with mushrooms and courgettes to act as a buffer to hold everything together.
5. Once assembled, place on heavy based pan or tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and rest in the fridge while you light the oven.
6. Allow the DeliVita Wood Fired Oven to come to temperature about 350/380°C before sliding the tray into the chamber.
7. Turn every 4 minutes to get an even colour. Cook for approximately 12-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through and comfortably reaches 75°C.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to rest covered while you bake the flatbreads.
9. Reheat the oven by placing a couple of pieces of wood on the embers and allow to burn down until a hot oven temperature (400-450°C) is reached.
10. Portion flatbread dough into equal sized balls and dust with flour.
11. Gently stretch and roll into large flat disks, resting if the dough keeps pulling back.
12. Lightly oil a cast iron pan and allow it to get very hot. Place a flatbread into the pan and return to the oven.
13. Allow to bake for 2-3 minutes, turning halfway through until the bread is baked through with a nice colour.
14. Serve the chicken skewers with a big green salad, rocket pesto and flatbreads.
We'd love to hear your feedback on this recipe! Why not be the first to review it?
note your review will not appear immediately upon submission
There are no videos linked to this story
There are no audio files linked to this story
There are no image galleries linked to this story
Join our mailing list to be kept up-to-date with everything that is going on at BBQ HQ.
Every now and again, we'll email you the latest BBQ news, new recipes to try, BBQ community news, and a preview of what is coming in our next edition.
Simply fill in the form opposite - we won't bombard you with click bait, and you can opt out at any time.
Copyright ©2022 The BBQ Magazine. All rights reserved. The BBQ Magazine is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 13094123.