This chargrilled artichoke antipasti in oil is great served with a delicious focaccia and your other favourite antipasti
300g small artichokes
2 unwaxed lemons, zest and juice
250ml white wine vinegar
2 tbsp light olive oil
2 tsp mixed peppercorns
Sea salt flakes
500ml bottle light olive oil
1. Squeeze the juice of one lemon into a bowl of cold water. Prepare the artichokes by removing the outer leaves with a small sharp knife. Go through the layers until you reach the paler, greenish yellow leaves. Trim stalks to about 5cm, cut heads into quarters. Rub with squeezed lemon halves and place in the lemon water bowl.
2. Remove strips of zest from the other lemon. Simmer 100ml of the vinegar and the artichokes in a large saucepan for 15-18 minutes until tender. Drain and tip into a bowl, toss with 2 tablespoons of light olive oil. Season.
3. On a medium direct heat grill the artichoke quarters until charred.
4. Warm the oil, lemon zest and peppercorns together until the zest sizzles. Remove zest from the oil. Warm the remaining vinegar in another pan until almost boiling.
5. Put the artichokes and lemon zest in to jars or heatproof containers, pour over the warm vinegar and top up with warm oil to cover. Seal while warm and allow to cool. Keep in the fridge.
6. Serve with a delicious focaccia and your other favourite antipasti.
We'd love to hear your feedback on this recipe! Why not be the first to review it?
note your review will not appear immediately upon submission
There are no videos linked to this story
There are no audio files linked to this story
There are no image galleries linked to this story
Join our mailing list to be kept up-to-date with everything that is going on at BBQ HQ.
Every now and again, we'll email you the latest BBQ news, new recipes to try, BBQ community news, and a preview of what is coming in our next edition.
Simply fill in the form opposite - we won't bombard you with click bait, and you can opt out at any time.
Copyright ©2022 The BBQ Magazine. All rights reserved. The BBQ Magazine is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 13094123.