Ben Forte for Kamado Joe Autumn 2022 Join us on @thebbqmag
The slight bitterness from the coffee rub pairs perfectly with rich, complex venison. With a smoky crust and tender centre, there’s no better way to enjoy venison than seared over charcoal. We fired up the Kamado Joe with hot and clean burning charcoal and natural firelighters. This recipe will create ample romesco sauce, which will store well in the fridge. It’s the perfect dip for anything, smothered on chicken burgers, stirred through pasta or the perfect gift for a happy neighbour.
1 Farm Wilder Venison loin
4 tbsp finely ground espresso coffee
1 tbsp flaked sea salt
2 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tbsp vegetable oil
200g ground almonds
3 flame-roasted red peppers
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp smoked paprika
A healthy dash of chipotle chilli sauce (Tabasco)
1 tbsp sherry
50ml olive oil
1. Burn and blacken the peppers over scorching coals, turning frequently until peppers soften. Place peppers in a bowl, cover with cling film and set aside to naturally steam for 10 minutes. Using a cloth, pull off the blackened skin but don’t worry if it doesn’t all come away.
2. Remove the seeds. In a blender, blitz all the romesco ingredients until smooth or your desired consistency. Season to taste.
3. Set up your BBQ to searing temperature.
4. Combine the coffee, black pepper and salt on a plate. Coat your venison liberally in oil, then roll it in the rub until it’s completely coated. Place on a wire rack.
5. Using tongs, sear over a high heat, turning every so often to ensure an even crust. Check regularly with a meat thermometer and remove from the heat when it reaches 54°C. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes. At this point, it should reach an internal temperature of 57°C when probed.
6. Finish the venison and romesco sauce with a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil and flakey sea salt.
We'd love to hear your feedback on this recipe! Why not be the first to review it?
note your review will not appear immediately upon submission
There are no videos linked to this story
There are no audio files linked to this story
There are no image galleries linked to this story
Join our mailing list to be kept up-to-date with everything that is going on at BBQ HQ.
Every now and again, we'll email you the latest BBQ news, new recipes to try, BBQ community news, and a preview of what is coming in our next edition.
Simply fill in the form opposite - we won't bombard you with click bait, and you can opt out at any time.